Friday, October 12, 2012

Sinister (2012)






Summary: Found footage helps a true-crime novelist realize how and why a family was murdered in his new home, though his discoveries put his entire family in the path of a supernatural entity.(picture and summary courtesy of imdb.com)

So, I went into this film with no expectations what so ever. Of course deep down I was hoping that it would be good. The entire concept was good. They just didn't bring it up to a level that was scary or surprising. It was predictable as always. Once you get the gist of what's going on, you'll be able to figure out the ending with no problem. What I hated the most was how the relied on the same old type of scares that every movie does. The random loud bang. The person popping up out of nowhere. There's was no creativity in the type of scares. I didn't find the tapes to be all that creepy either. They were disturbing in there own rights, but nothing that's going to scare me, or make me walk out of the theater. They were incidences that were done individually in other movies. And I viewed the father (Ethan Hawke) as nothing but an idiot throughout the entire movie. Ugh, and this demon was funny.  He looked like a member of the Insane Clown Posse. I was expecting him to take out a bottle of Faygo at some point. Someone else mentioned that he reminded them of the wrestler Sting. Every time he was on screen, people laughed. That was practically the only reaction from the viewing auidience, laughter. Other than that, the theater was quiet. People didn't seem to find it scary, even the little kids. And I share that sentiment. It was way over hyped. My personal opinion, those who found it scary and/or walked out, are people who are not usual horror movie goers. And personally, I think some critics were paid to say this movie was the scariest thing they ever saw. 

So my suggestion, save your money on this film. I'm sure if it's something you really want to see, you can find other ways. Or wait for it to come out on DVD. You're not missing anything. Don't buy into the hype.

HorrorChick23

No comments:

Post a Comment